Popular Posts

Monday, June 13, 2011

Avgolemono


egg-lemon soup

When I was young I remember many visits to a Greek restaurant in Fresno called The Athenian. One of my mom's best friends was the owner and would invariably sit me at a table in the back with a bowl of this creamy lemon soup. It is comfort food and once you have tasted it, you will be hooked.

I've been playing around with the ingredients until I was happy with the flavor. It took me a few attempts with this one to get it just right, I think it's delicious. You will be surprised at how easy this soup is to make.

Ingredients:

2 quarts chicken stock

cooked chicken shredded

one medium onion

1 to 2 carrots

1 to 2 stalks celery ( the tender heart and the leafy parts too )

3/4 to 1 cup orzo ( fideo-angel hair pasta or rice will do as well )

3 eggs

3 to 4 lemons

fresh dill (about 2 tablespoons)

salt and pepper

scallions

olive oil

Assembly:

Finely chop the onions, carrots and celery.

Drizzle olive oil into a deep pot and heat on high, saute the chopped vegetables until slightly translucent.

Add the chicken

and orzo

Mix the meat, orzo and vegetables together then salt, pepper and fresh finely chopped dill.

(start with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp pepper, add more if necessary later)

Pour in all the chicken stock and bring to a simmering boil and allow the orzo to cook. About 20 minutes or so.

Juice the lemons and add to the soup pot.

This next part is important, so follow these directions carefully. ( I set up my blender near the pot so I can mix quickly. )

Ladle some of the hot soup broth into a spouted measuring cup, about 2 cups worth.

Crack the eggs into the blender and blend on medium until creamy.

You must temper the eggs first - add the hot liquid from the cup slowly into into the blender while on to mix eggs with broth. Quickly pour into the soup pot and stir. Turn the heat down to low and it is ready to eat in 10 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh dill and chopped scallions ( cut on the diagonal for presentation ) Serve with warm bread and a glass of white wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment